Author Topic: brushless upgrade for honey bee v2  (Read 1619 times)

Offline jruleon

brushless upgrade for honey bee v2
« on: November 13, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
Hi, i'm very new to the hobby so please forgive in advance my basic questions. I am upgrading to a 380 brushless for my honey bee v2 and wanted to know if i needed a esc to go with it or if i just plug it into the stock 4 in 1. If i do need one what would you recommend for a good esc to go with my 380 brushless motor. Also if i do need one can u briefly explain why. Final question (for now at least :0)) I ordered the direct drive pack for my bee as well, do i need anything other than what the standard set-up pack comes with for my tail upgrade. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to answer my questions. btw any wiring diagrams or links to them would be ideal for these upgrades. Thanks again. Jeff

Gene T

Re: brushless upgrade for honey bee v2
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
I don't have all the answers, but I do know this. You can't plug a brushless motor into the 4in1 and expect it to work. Basically, brushed motors are DC and given voltage, they run. But brushless motors are completely different. They have three wires and the ESC pulses the wires in order to make the motor spin. Faster pulses, faster spin. The 4in1 doesn't do that.

So if you add a brushless motor, you have to add an ESC and then you have to get the throttle signal from the 4in1 to the ESC. I don't know how to do that either. Not so helpful this evening.

Offline Jolly-Swagman

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
  • HK-450GT
    • G.A.STEPHEN - Internet Marketing
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »
Here is some info that may be useful to what you wish to do, but from what I can see it is worth as much as the Heli costs in the first place. (this is for the V1 may work for V2)
http://www.rtf-heli.com/ESKYHBFPbrushlesstail.html

DJI F450 ARF Quad Copter Kit - KK2 LCD FCB
HK-450GT Full CNC Alloy Build + few HK450BB Builds
Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz + FrSky VR6 FASST RX's

Offline jruleon

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses i actually made a mistake i meant to ask if i needed an esc for an  Xtreme Modified 380X Brushed Motor upgrade. My guess would be no but i want to be sure. Also it is coming with a 9t pinion does anyone happen to know what the stock main gear is on the bee v2, i thought it might be 10t but wasn't sure and if that's the case is my best bet to just get a new 10t pinion attachment for my motor? Thanks again and sorry for the mix up on the original posting

Offline P3tras

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
  • Money is the limit
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:49:46 AM »
380X motor is drop in replacement for honey bee. But there are some reports that it fries 4in1 so I would suggest doing fuse mode on honey bee ( http://myrcguide.com/index.php?topic=20.0 ). Install 10A fuse between main motor and 4in1 and it'll be safe :130: And use 9T pinion that comes with the motor. With 10T pinion you can overload 4in1.
Esmart, Tarot 450 PRO, Futaba 7C (tx)

Offline pinguin6218

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Practice makes perfect
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Brushed and brushless motor are different. They need different ESC for each other. Brushed use 2 wires ESC, brushless use 3 wire ESC.
If you go for brushless, you need to modify the stock 4in1

I suggest you use Xtreme 380X motor or 370 super motor

I don't think it worth it to upgrade to brushless motor. You better save your money for your next heli.
   Be Blessed

Offline Elmardus

• MOTM Award
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:59 PM »
380X motor is drop in replacement for honey bee. But there are some reports that it fries 4in1 so I would suggest doing fuse mode on honey bee ( http://myrcguide.com/index.php?topic=20.0 ). Install 10A fuse between main motor and 4in1 and it'll be safe :130: And use 9T pinion that comes with the motor. With 10T pinion you can overload 4in1.

Better to use a 7,5 A fuse, that is much safer
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
—Leonardo da Vinci

Offline P3tras

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
  • Money is the limit
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:20:27 PM »

Better to use a 7,5 A fuse, that is much safer
Yeah, but with stock motor. More powerful motor will push 4in1 to its limits and 7.5A fuse could blow when you don't need it :130:
Esmart, Tarot 450 PRO, Futaba 7C (tx)