Author Topic: SAFETY FIRST - Pictures Of Injuries Caused By RC Helicopters  (Read 19694 times)

Offline 1CoolDude

• I'll Be Back Laterz... :(
    • Please Visit My YouTube Channel
SAFETY FIRST - Pictures Of Injuries Caused By RC Helicopters
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »
Pictures of injuries to humans inflicted by RC helicopters. This hobby can be as safe as any other when treated with the proper respect. This thread is intended to help new and old hobbyist understand why this respect is required.

Please include a picture and any details you have on how and why the injury occurred.

Offline 1CoolDude

Pictures Of Injuries Caused By RC Helicopters
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:58 AM »
Got this from another site. Thought I would share. :blink:

Quote from: Motions
Apparently, everyone in this thread has been flying little BladeCPs and gotten a couple scratches. Where are the real injuries you say? Here's one from another electric heli. I was told the cut was to the bone and required 8 stitches inside and 14 stitches outside.

Offline 1CoolDude

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:50:16 AM »
:blink:

Quote from: socal
Here is me.... Tail Rotor.

Offline 1CoolDude

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:55:05 AM »

Quote from: cwstufft
I was stupid the other day. My tail belt broke on my trex 450 so I was holding the tail boom and spooling up the heli while it was on a table. I guess I blipped the throttle and the heli torqued to the side and my finger got caught in the blades. 9 stitches later...It was a stupid mistake and I won't do it again! There's a lot of power in those little motors and carbon blades do not give!

Offline 1CoolDude

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 03:28:48 AM »

Quote from: CorollaGT
Had an incident. Accidentally reset-ed the parameters in my T7C TX while the heli was still plugged, thus reversing channel 3. Got a nice cut caused by those CF blades and I think that has taught me a lot.

Offline 1CoolDude

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:31:47 AM »

Quote from: saltydon
I just finished a flight and had changed the batteries in my Hurricane 550. I always follow the startup proceedure of having the radio at half throttle so the motor isn't armed when the battery is connected. I also had the radio on the table beside the heli within easy reach. Just as I pushed the deans together I noticed the throttle was at 0 so I reached over and poked it to half throttle. The very second I did this I realized what would happen if the ESC armed, which it did. The same time as I slide the throttle to 0 the blade made one half rotation and gained enough speed to brake the blade on my arm bones with an on edge strike. This all took a millisecond to occur. The acceleration of the blade in a one half rotation was not only awe inspiring but also pain inducing. My arm has since swelled and two days later is almost unmovable at the wrist. Leave the radio out of reach until the heli is positioned for lift off might be a good rule. Duh. With an ESC it will not start if it is not moved no matter what the position. I knew that!!!

Offline 1CoolDude

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:41:41 AM »

Quote from: fakesnake
hi, This is the result of me being an idiot, I forgot to switch on throttle hold. I had put down the radio about 3 feet away from the bird, kneeling on both knee at this time. Turned around to get sunglasses out of flight box and the neck strap must have caught the throttle because it started to spool up. By this time my back was to the heli, so spun around to grab radio just as i hit throttle hold the heli hit me in both hands. right hand got away with a few nicks left hand took the brunt. The second mistake I made being out in the middle of a playing field flying on my own, quick run back to car to get rag to try and stem blood, then pick up heli and gear, no way I was going to leave that there trex 500 and dx7. Luckily the hospital is only a mile from where I was, so hand wrapped as best I could I drove there. Just before I got treated I thought of this thread so took a snap of my left hand, got away very light 15 stiches and lost the top of my index finger, just out of shot. So two lessons leared that day dont fly alone and double check you setting on radio. This happened last wed and today is monday had the dressings changed today and it is healing up fine.

Offline 1CoolDude

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 03:53:58 AM »
OMG!!!!!!!!  :blink:

Quote from: papafoster
Hi all this is my effort with my 600 nitro, flying alone with my dog and my other heli a 700 nitro I still don't know what caused the heli to aim for me but the result was the same my left hand and middle finger almost severed took the hit along with my DX7. The transmitter is a write off and my hand and the middle finger took 4 hours to repair so the pictures are of my finger with the bone exposed.

Allan

Offline chief qm

• Forum Service
Re: Pictures Of Injuries Caused By RC Helicopters
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
Let's all be carefull out there guys so we don't add to this thread, especially with any of us!
Chief :navy1:

Offline 1CoolDude

Warning! Gory Injury Photos From A 450 Heli
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »
Warning! Video is graphic but serves its purpose.

Offline P3tras

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
  • Money is the limit
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »
OUCH!!! :134: Ya better be careful!
Esmart, Tarot 450 PRO, Futaba 7C (tx)

Offline jjh24

• im hooo0ked!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 01:29:03 AM »
 :yikes: w0w0w0  :thinkalmost:
2 walkera UFLY 2 Falcon 40 v2 cnc out & a 4-3B & and a 4#6

Offline shadowforce1946

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
I've been flying for 7 months now. I started very slow with a coax and went from there. I followed all the rules and haven't hit myself YET. These are some gory photos. Remember these are not toys. Be more careful. Take your time when powering up. Slow and easy and Think safety when flying. Keep these things away from you. :oldcane:

Offline MAXIMUS

• Carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 12:07:52 AM »
yeah its pretty scary to see what a so called "toy helicopter" can do to you. if you think about it, an electric trex 600 has more horse power than most push mowers. one of there little motors can pull 6000 watts of power, thats 8 horse power. thats more power than 3 slandered house out lets can supply. not to mention there swinging large carbon fiber blades! i saw these pics of another forum the day before i got my 450. i was most careful to say the least.   

Offline wasimwazir

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 08:15:13 AM »
we should all think twice when approaching helicopters and especially when they are connected.....otherwise you may injure yourself and never want to fly again and lose interest in a fun hobby
trex 450 pro
trex 700 nitro