Author Topic: SPEKTRUM DX6i TRIM VS SUB TRIM  (Read 3877 times)

Offline GRUMPEE

SPEKTRUM DX6i TRIM VS SUB TRIM
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »
As far as adjustments each of the front trims take approx 24 clicks from center point to end of travel(bar). Sub trim is adjusted by percentage 0-100% from center. Would it be wrong to assume a ratio of 1 click of the trim switch for every 4% of subtrim.

I ask so I can use the sub trim to minimize ail drift  and had to use 4 clicks of the ail trim switch to compensate. which if I guess right would be a 1% change on the sub trim?
*Esky HBFP V2: CP3 DD tail, SuperSkids 400, SuperBlades XP, Xtreme OPCF
*Blade MCX S300 & MSR: Bone Stock
*Esky Lama V3: Spektrum RX, Helitek 2.0 shaft, AFC blades & Skids, Aero Nuts motors, Xtreme 
  Flex Tail, swashplate & lower rotor hub
*HobbyZone Champ

Offline shizack

• MOTM Award
Re: SPEKTRUM DX6i TRIM VS SUB TRIM
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:09:30 AM »
Eh, not exactly.

"Subtrim" affects the servo; "trim" affects the function.

For example, in a 3-servo 120 CCPM setup, subtrimming aileron would only move that servo, resulting in a the swashplate tilting slightly toward the servo (good) yet also slightly forward (probably not good).  This is because the other "aileron" servo (PITCH servo) would not be affected.

Trimming aileron would result in the swashplate tilting in the desired direction only (good) because since the function is affected, both servos would move according to your adjustment.

In a 1-servo 90 setup, such as a typical FP, either should work.

Offline Rumblecloud

• Forum Service
  • Legend
  • Port Huron, Michigan
    • Rumblecloud
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Hey Shiz,

Great explanation.

:224:I'm thirsting for knowledge on the radio functions - information on why to make certain adjustments and not just how to make them (as described in the DX7 owner manual).

So this kinda stuff I soak up. :130:

rc

Offline Hell_Cat

• Forum Service
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:52:57 PM »
Perhaps the most practical use of "Subtrim" is centering of the servos during setup. Many times it is impossible to get the servo arms at 90 degrees mechanically, one tries to get it as close as mechanically possible and then uses "Subtrim" to make it perfect. So as shizack has explained we use "Subtrim" to adjust the servo itself, usually only during setup, and we use the "Trim" to adjust the functions of flight controls.

Offline Rumblecloud

• Forum Service
  • Legend
  • Port Huron, Michigan
    • Rumblecloud
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
HC...
Exactly what I was doing last night with the mechanical thing. Out side on the back porch. Unscrewing the horn and carefully removing and recentering it. And sometimes - no most times - it just ain't gonna center. Getting bit by mosquiotos and dropping the dang screws doesn't make it any easier either. 

After reading your last post, I'll be subtrimming later tonite. :217:

rc
 :130:

Offline jjh24

• im hooo0ked!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
thanks guys..just got my dx6i..and i didnt have a clue what the subtrim was about :night:..i do now :morning:..thanks  :224: :224:
2 walkera UFLY 2 Falcon 40 v2 cnc out & a 4-3B & and a 4#6