Author Topic: Make your own Flybar locking tool!!!!  (Read 4174 times)

Offline boomer2282

• My Helis
Make your own Flybar locking tool!!!!
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
Hello all as you all know when it comes to Helli's is very important to get the appropriate meassures to ensure a great performance and to help prevents any accidents. so we depend on many tools to accomplish it, so one of this tools is the Flybar locking tool you can purchase them at almost every helicopter website, however this video shows you how to make your own with stuff that you all probably already have  and it works just like the "professional" one so enjoy and if you can make it do it its worth it. 

Offline DGoodwin

• MOTM Award
  • Belt CP V2
    • Blackberry Group
Re: Make your own Flybar locking tool!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »
cool post.. thanks for sharing this... i think i have seen it around b4 but couldnt remember where i saw it

Flying A helicopter is just as hard as trying to balance a tennis ball on top of a basket ball.

Offline HBFP NL

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Happy Flying!
    • Happy Flying
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:19:30 AM »
You also have to level your table before you can use this tool :)

My RC foamy & heli Blog: http://www.happyflying.nl

Offline boomer2282

• My Helis
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Good point HBFP NL  thanks for looking out.

Offline HeliThief

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »
 I would think it would be more important to lvl your main shaft as having a lvl table may not result in a lvl heli. Just a thought. Nice post, I have been wanting to make one of these tools for a while now.
Hope you have insurance on that bird!!
DX6i
Copterx 450pro-
KBDD upgrades
450M
40A volcano ESC
Align 325 CF
Hitec 5065-MG
Quark with Ino-Lab D261
Belt CP V2 CNC
Novus CX
HBCP3-Brushless cnc
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizard1253#p/a

Offline 4n6Days

• MOTM Award
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:43:33 PM »
Here's one that I posted a while ago:

http://myrcguide.com/index.php?topic=252.0

"For in six days the LORD created the heavens, the earth, the sea and all that in them is."  -Exodus 20:11

Offline pinguin6218

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Practice makes perfect
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »
That's something I use on my Belt CP. Just stick the popsicle on the head. But to make sure it level all the time, I put a bubble level on the flybar.
I seen a video (forgot where), before you begin, you level everything with bubble level. Put bubble level on the skid, on the boom etc.
   Be Blessed

Offline DGoodwin

• MOTM Award
  • Belt CP V2
    • Blackberry Group
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »
you know a bubble level isnt always the best tool..

lets say that your heli is crashed semi hard.. the frame gets tweeked just a touch, now the main shaft is out of plum with the rest of the heli.. it still flys good but is just off enough to mess everything up if u level the flybar to the rest of the world..

ground is level..check
table is level... check
skids are level.. check

now you level the flybar, well b4 it was good but now you "made it level" to the world and not ur heli..

so while im typing this i really dont see how if the flybar is level or not would effect the pitch of the heli.. i set my pitch while the flybar is free and i have no problems.. maybe its easire if its locked into place but i just dont know it has to be level..

but if u insist on having it level, maybe you should make sure that your main shaft is plum first..

just my 2 pennies, but i might not know what im talking about..

Flying A helicopter is just as hard as trying to balance a tennis ball on top of a basket ball.

Offline HeliThief

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
   Beings that everything in the head moves on ratio and not 1 to 1 it is good to have a lvl flybar when setting up, does not have to be perfect but perfect lends to consistency. As you said and I stated above, the only important factors in this are a lvl mainshaft and lvl flybar. Having lvl skids, tailboom, and frame have nothing to do with it. If mainshaft and flybar are lvl then you have perfect pitch. On some heli's if the frame, or boom is lvl then the mainshaft is also, but not all, and it is up too you to check this if you want too.

The purpose of the locking tool is to make sure the flybar stays in one place whilst you check both blades, therefore all the lvling is not necessary. Reason for this is the position of the flybar is static and does not change, hence the tool. It is nice if the tool holds the flybar at 90 degrees to the mainshaft so you get 0 pitch with a lvl rotor head.
Hope you have insurance on that bird!!
DX6i
Copterx 450pro-
KBDD upgrades
450M
40A volcano ESC
Align 325 CF
Hitec 5065-MG
Quark with Ino-Lab D261
Belt CP V2 CNC
Novus CX
HBCP3-Brushless cnc
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizard1253#p/a

Offline 4n6Days

• MOTM Award
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »
On many helicopters the mixing ration of the flybar to the blade grips isn't 1:1. On the trex 450, it is not 1:1. On some helicopters it is, so in those cases is wouldn't matter how the flybar was. The pitch reading would be the same throughout the range of motion.

Being 'bubble level' isn't necessarily important. What is important, is that your flybar is perpendicular to the mainshaft. If you're skids are level and the main shaft is totally perpendicular to the heli in all orientations, then bubble level will work.

Because of this, a flybar lock generally allows me to get a more precise setup in less time than trying to 'level' the flybar.

I will add that the flybar lock that allows you to spin the head with out removing it can really speed up the setup process. And if you are really precise about your setup (everything 90 degrees) and measure blade pitch carefully and set it correctly, you will rarely have to make tracking adjustments.

I always had to adjust tracking after setup until the time that FatDaddy helped me set up my 450. The tracking was perfect from the maiden flight. That was the day that I realized that bad tracking was more often than not a sign of a sloppy, hurried, or imprecise setup.

"For in six days the LORD created the heavens, the earth, the sea and all that in them is."  -Exodus 20:11

Offline boomer2282

• My Helis
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
Very nice 4n6Days  great information you are giving us Thank you.