Author Topic: HK 550 TT FBL Mini Review  (Read 808 times)

Offline juroxzg3

HK 550 TT FBL Mini Review
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Hey guys, I just picked my 550 up and was asked to do a little review on our Croatian forum so I figured I'd post it here too.
I can't wait to start building this beast and fly it. I didn't sleep last night, I won't sleep this night either I guess haha.
I'm still not sure what all will go on this beast as I'm waiting for my second package but so far I know that the following is going on:

1x Hobbyking YEP 100A (2~6S) SBEC Brushless Speed Controller
3x Hobbyking BL-83601 Digital Brushless MG HV 14.5kg / 0.13 / 56g (ciklika)
1x Mi Digital High Voltage Metal Gear Servo 8.40kg / 0.03 / 61g (rep)
1x 2S LiFe receiver pack
The servos are currently the best HV BLS setup for a 550-700 size helicopter you can get on HobbyKing

Waiting on the motor, FBL controller and a couple of other things.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Box 550A contains:

Frame, head, skids and the canopy. The head is smooth as far as I can see, no slop. It's much better quality than my HK 450. The canopy came broken but it does not matter. Nothing duct tape can't fix  :laugh25: . A new canopy is on the way. The finish on the fame is great, no sharp edges, there is no CF powder, excellent!

Box 550B contains:

Fins, main and auto gear, blade holder, some accessories and the tail mechanism.

One thing I noticed: The tail mechanism is attached to the boom using a pin which can fall out of it's place real easy if you turn the tail upside down so it is quite easy to loose if you're not carefull. The tail is great quality too! No play, smooth. I did not check the gears but as rickycrack said, they are really brittle.

The last box contains:

Tail boom, TT, boom supports and the tail link

The boom is great. Only thing is that the little pieces on the end of the boom supports need to be glued in place.

I'm extremely happy and I really like the kit. I can't wait to put it together and fly it. Huge thank You to Wespen (local who got the heli for me), HobbyKing and all of You for putting up with me all this time  :yourethebest:
This is a little tradition on our forum, whoever gets a new heli has to take a picture with the canopy on his head, the canopy does not fit my head so..

:laugh25: :laugh25:

-J :130:

Offline bigal1951

• I have become comfortably numb.
Re: HK 550 TT FBL Mini Review
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »
Good looking stuff there J. nice to be sponsored by HK, I like their stuff. I just ordered an HK 450 TT flybarless and the new Turnigy 3D-H, the rest of the parts will be coming soon.  :125: Looking forward to pictures of the build and flight video. Good luck.  :130:

HK 450 Pro FBL HK 450GT HK 450v2 Turnigy 9xr WLtoys V911 Walkera Ladybird

Offline juroxzg3

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
Going to build it as far as I can with what I have today. I'll make a timelapse video of just the kit build. I'm also maybe going to fly my 450 today, I'll do inverted hopefully. It's the last barrier I have to brake.

Wish me luck!

I also have a question.. Once I'll sell my 450 I'll have around $500, a chunk of that is going to tax, shipping, batteries for this helicopter. I guess that I'll have around $200-250 left. Should I: a) Buy myself a used PC (I am in the need of one since my laptop is falling apart but I only use it for internet anyway), b) Buy myself a quad, c) Buy myself a plane or d) Upgrade the 550 (KBDD main and tail blades, DFC head and some other things I find that I'll like)?

Offline juroxzg3

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
I didn't have the time to test my 450. I've made a lot of improvement on the kit. I only had like an hour to work on it. I spent a big part of that time doing things like checking the gears for warp, centering the TT, inspecting parts ect. Here is what I've done so far:

The entire head is locktited, main gear, auto gear and canopy was thrown away, so I will need to order a new one. I will invest all my money into upgrades and batteries ect.

Offline ricky crack

• MOTM Award
  • if we aint flyin we aint trying
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »
 :hi: I was going to tell you that is the same kit I have and the main and auto gear need replaced first. Other than that as far as I have seen the rest of the kit seems to be a higher quailty than my exi 500. Good luck with the build. :130:
copterx 250 belt cp exi 450 pro hk 450 v2 ec-135 exi 500 hk 550 fbl tt syma quadcopter align trex 600 align trex 700 nitro pro