Author Topic: ESC's With BEC????  (Read 898 times)

Offline HK500Pilot

ESC's With BEC????
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »
Is it possible to add a receiver battery pack to set up that is using an ESC with an internal BEC?  Or, do you have to purchase an ESC without an internal built in BEC?

Thanks for the help!
Spektrum DX6i , Triton EQ, Blade Nano , Blade 120 , HK / Align 500 , Align 500 EFL Pro / 3GX Century 550 Jet Ranger

Offline QMaverick

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
Re: ESC's With BEC????
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
On the Esc, you'll need to remove the red wire from the connector to the Rx, then you can connect the external BEC to the RX and it will be running of the Receiver Battery...

Blade mCPX - CopterX CX450SE v2 - Align Trex 450SE v2 - Tarot 450 Sport - Tarot 500ESP - HK 500GT - Align Trex 500E
Multi Rotor: Flip FPV - Talon v2.0 - X66

Offline HK500Pilot

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »
Now when you say "External BEC" you mean a battery pack correct?
Spektrum DX6i , Triton EQ, Blade Nano , Blade 120 , HK / Align 500 , Align 500 EFL Pro / 3GX Century 550 Jet Ranger

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
  • Men and their flying machines
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
HK500, If you want to set up your ESC with the internal BEC, you dont need a seperate reciever battery. Just plug your lipo into the two power leads off your ESC, Take the reciever lead and plug it into your reciever to bind, then set up up the ESC if your doing it through the TX. You can plug the motor leads or leave them off just make sure they are isolated from each other. Hope this answers your question.
BTW Mav has the answer if you want to run a seperate standalone BEC.

Ice    :freezing:

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline HK500Pilot

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:29 AM »
I guess what I'm trying to do is run a separate battery pack to provide power for the servos, I don't want to rely totally upon the ESC to power everything. If something should happen to the ESC I could loose all function of the servos, that is why I want to run a separate battery.

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
  • Men and their flying machines
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »
HK, If you want to do that , you'll have to run a seperate BEC with a seperate battery pack and clip the red wire off the main ESC like Mav quoted. Some guys like to run seperate BEC on bigger birds, 450's and lower you should be fine.

Ice    :freezing:

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Gene T

• MOTM Award
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
Now when you say "External BEC" you mean a battery pack correct?

Fun with terminology.

An external BEC is more properly called a Voltage Regulator. You pair a battery with the Voltage Regulator and use it to power your electronics. This is separate from the battery that runs your motor.

When the Voltage Regulator is included in the ESC, it is more properly called a BEC or Battery Elimination Circuit, because then you run everything off one battery and you have truly eliminated a battery.

On the other hand, another way to set this up is to connect the Voltage Regulator to the main battery along with the ESC power wires. You'll have to splice them together. In this configuration, you've still eliminated the receiver battery, so there's only one main battery to deal with, BUT you have also relieved the ESC of the duty to provide power to the electronics. So you have the reliability of an external Voltage Regulator, but the simplicity of a single battery.

You just need to make sure the Voltage Regulator you use can take the voltage of the main battery pack. One which expects to get 8.2v from a 2S Receiver Battery Pack might blow up if you connected it to a 12S battery at 50.4 volts fully charged.

DX8, Phoenix, iCharger 208b, Blade mSR, Blade 130X, Blade 400 (Airwolf), TREX 500, TREX 600, TREX 700

Offline HK500Pilot

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
Thank u gene i follow you ......somewhat. I'm coming from the old school of rc and just getting. back into the hobbys new hardware and terminology. i was hopin it was as easy as using an esc without an internal bec and plugging in a separate battery pack to power the flight controls. is this method still doable or just not the best set up given todays technology? I'm planning. a scale build with lights and using a separate battery pack to power those. i just don't feel comfortable powering everything through the esc. i do this already with my planes but there is just a lot more going on with a helicopter.

What kind of set up would you use in this case?

Offline Gene T

• MOTM Award
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
The issue is that servos generally have to have between 4.8v and 6v to work properly. Some cannot go beyond 4.8v, while others are happy with the whole range, they just give slightly lower performance on lower voltage.

But batteries are going to be in multiples of 3.7v-4.2v ranges (low vs fully charged). So one cell is too little, and two cells 7.4v-8.2v is too high.

That's why you use a voltage regulator. It takes in 7.4 to 8.2 and puts out a steady 4.8v or 6.0v depending on how you set it up. So you end up with a second 2S battery to run the flight controls.

A lot depends on the size of your model. I use the built in BEC on my 450 and my 500. I use external Voltage Regulators with separate flight battery on my 600 and 700. A lot of people use an external one on everything from a 450 on up.

On a 450, you usually have to tie the VR to the main battery anyway because there's no room for another battery and they are more sensitive to weight. 500s usually have room to stuff in an extra battery and weight is not such an issue.

DX8, Phoenix, iCharger 208b, Blade mSR, Blade 130X, Blade 400 (Airwolf), TREX 500, TREX 600, TREX 700

Offline QMaverick

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
Thanks Gene, could not have said it better...  :130:

Blade mCPX - CopterX CX450SE v2 - Align Trex 450SE v2 - Tarot 450 Sport - Tarot 500ESP - HK 500GT - Align Trex 500E
Multi Rotor: Flip FPV - Talon v2.0 - X66

Offline pinguin6218

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Practice makes perfect
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »
What is the light working voltage? If it is 4.8v, maybe you can do this. Use the BEC to power your lights. You need a Y cable, but remove the red wire from the connector going to Rx.
Use separate BEC or battery pack to power your electronic.
You can use 2s Lipo battery + BEC to produce 4.8v output or use 4s Nicad battery. Nicad battery might be heavier than 2s Lipo battery. With Nicad, the battery connect directly to your electronic. With 2s Lipo battery you have BEC between battery and electronics. If the BEC fail, you will loose power to your electronics. If your electronic rated for HV, can run on 7.4v, you just need a 2s Lipo battery without BEC.
You can also use the External BEC or battery to power electronics and lights. I just want to distribute the load, so on top I said use the internal BEC to power lights and External BEC to power electronics.
   Be Blessed

ROUNDMAN54

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
I guess what I'm trying to do is run a separate battery pack to provide power for the servos, I don't want to rely totally upon the ESC to power everything. If something should happen to the ESC I could loose all function of the servos, that is why I want to run a separate battery.
I agree with Ice and Gene If you want to isolate your servos and Rx power go with their suggestions W/ a seperate Bec( voltage Regulator) if you don't want to go with a higher V rating esc with an internal higher rating BEC.  By the sounds of your concerns....... Go with an 80 esc and a RCEB6X seperate BEC that should carry your power for your heli.  Thats what I'm using on my Trex 600E Pro...  2- 6cell 3300Mah lipos and 1 -7.4 V 2000Mah lipo for my electronics. If that esc and bec will carry 2- 22.2v lipos it's  enough to carry your system. I hope this helps and oesn't confuse you.   :130:

Offline HK500Pilot

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
Ok, thanks for all the replies.  This is starting to make more sense.  Would something like this, in conjunction with a 2 cell lipo receiver pack be an ideal set up?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33290__HobbyKing_HKU5_5V_5A_UBEC_USA_Warehouse_.html

Thanks for all the help guys!

Offline HK500Pilot

Offline wiredcycle

• Your never to old to learn
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
Hi Hk,On my hk500 build I'm doing now I'm using a hobbywing esc 80 amp opto and an external bec a hobbywing 5-7.5 amp this should get me up and going.I'm new to flying but the crew here have been helping me with great answers to my questions  :130: