Author Topic: Flashed ESC's  (Read 2125 times)

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
  • Men and their flying machines
Re: Flashed ESC's
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 07:01:47 AM »
Got my flashing tool from HK yesterday. Went through the motions of setting up the firmware on my computer. downloaded the USB drivers ok and installed fine. Went and downloaded the firmware from KKmulticopter for windows, loaded ok, but when I went ot execute the software, it will not start up. any ideas here.

Ice    :freezing:

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline pinguin6218

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Practice makes perfect
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »
You might need to install java.
   Be Blessed

Offline boykintom

• MOTM Award
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 06:28:37 PM »
Are you sure you are using the right executable file in KKMulticopter?  It should be this one: KK flashtool 0.63\kkMulticopterFlashTool_SERIAL.cmd  At least that is what works for me.
"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground"

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »
This is starting to really piss me off. Reloaded and deleted 4 times last night with the same results. It will not execute. and I tried all the choices. My computer is updated with all recent updates. I'm using Vista Home Premium as a OS. Going to have to look a little deeper into this. Any ideas would be welcome.

:frokkel: :frokkel: :frokkel:

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline pinguin6218

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Practice makes perfect
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 07:41:05 AM »
Ice, did you download the 0.63 version? Either the  .cmd file as BKT said or the .jar file you need to execute. Make sure you have java installed.
I read that some Vista user have problem, but it works on my Vista.
   Be Blessed

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
 :215: Found the problem.  :220: Downloaded the 32 bit Java instead of the 64 bit. Reloaded and walla. Flashed the 4 HK Blueseries ESC's, went like butter. Took me longer to get them out of the heat shrink instead flashing them. Now it's time to test them badboys.
Thanks for the inputs.

Offline boykintom

• MOTM Award
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »
So the flash tool worked well?  I have about decided that my esc's can't be flashed.  They are new model HK SS 25-30 HW card programmable, and older models could be flashed, but these have apparently been changed so they can't.  They do OK, but I really wanted to flash them.  BTW, got my homemade wood frame quad flying with the Crius AIO Pro this evening.  Got some wobble, and I have a long way to go to figure out all it will do, but at least it flies.

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
The flashtool worked really easy once you find the right orinentation. The pins are on springs and they put pressure on the chip. All is good in the land of flashing.  :130:

Offline boykintom

• MOTM Award
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
How did you figure out which way it needs to be turned?

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
BK, I followed the Atmega8 pinout layout and marked the tool. You can find the pinout here.

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/Flashing+Instructions

The MISO, MISI, and PB5 pins at the bottom right are the key pins to locate. They are opposite of the dot in the upper left hand corner of the chip. They are the only three pins in that configurations. Place tool on chip, pressdown and flash, 1,2,3 your done. Like I said earlier, it took me longer to get the ESC out of the shrinkwrap than it did to flash.

Offline boykintom

• MOTM Award
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
Well, I had the tool turned right, then, but these esc's just won't flash.  Hopefully the new ones will.

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:30 AM »
BK, tested mine yesterday and all four loaded fine. Did the throttle calibration and they ran fine on the test. BK what ESC's are you trying to flash,  are you using the right firmware for those ESC's?

Offline boykintom

• MOTM Award
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »
These are the esc's I'm trying to flash with tgy.hex:     Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC ((HKSS 30A HW) card programmable)--Should be able to be flashed with tgy.hex according to Tom Snow's list on RC Groups.

Offline icecycler

• MOTM Award
  • Elite member
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
According to Snows list you have the right firmware. Thats odd that the older ones would not flash. From what I've read, the newer ESC's are the ones with the chip changed out. Have asked anyone out there if they had the same circumstances? I'll dig around too, see if I can come up with anything.

Offline boykintom

• MOTM Award
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »
Got a batch of HK F-30A ESC's in today.  Flashed the 4 I needed for the quad in about 5 minutes, using the new flashing tool from HK.  Had a couple of times where it didn't connect, but I just needed to wiggle it a little and try again.  I installed the flashed esc's on the woodframe quad, and they are very smooth and quiet, but don't seem to have quite the zip the other ones had.  Not sure why that would be the case, but on this quad it isn't a problem, since I mainly want it to be smooth and stable.