Author Topic: Blade SR tail motor problems  (Read 1950 times)

Offline skidder

Blade SR tail motor problems
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:56:29 AM »
I just purchased a spektrum dx6i and bound it to the Blade SR. Once it was programed wow  :222: what a difference. A lot more responsive. But I seemed to have developed another issue.

I just replaced the ESC following a crash and all seemed to be working fine. However, since that time I have replaced the tail motor twice after only six batteries worth of flying. After three flights (three batteries) the first motor went out. I replaced it with another (with a used one I had on hand) and it quit after the third battery. I purchased a new motor and got one short test flight (30 sec) then it quit working. Is this just coincedence or does the new radio put more stress on the tail motors? With the stock radio I didn't have trouble with tail motors. Frustrating! :angryred:

Gene T

Re: Blade SR tail motor problems
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:18:48 AM »
The radio can't put stress on the motors. Well to be fair, your throttle curve could be more aggressive and spinning the motors a little faster, but that doesn't seem like it would burn out the motors. My money would be on the new ESC as the culprit.

But you could certainly TRY to back down the throttle curve a bit, but not too much.

I don't know if this helps, but does it sound different when it flies? Like does it have a higher pitch than you are used to hearing at hover?

Offline shadowforce1946

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »
The SR sucks. I sold mine. Get a Walkera V400D02, you'll love it.

Gene T

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:14:39 AM »
And then the next person comes in and says HBFPs suck, they learned everything they know on the Blade SR.

Everyone has a different experience with each heli they buy. Like every model of car, you will always find someone who loves them and someone who hates them.

Offline santino6124

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
:iagree: with both of you. I had a bad experience with the SR as well and don't have a very high opinion of it but that doesn't mean everyone will.  I have heard they have made improvements to them since the original release.

I as well would put my money on the Esc burning up the tail motors as well if they are really burnt up I would try one of them again after you exchange the speed controller

We all have at least one thing in common and that's that we all enjoy flying R.C.
lets not get into an argument over who's is better I am sure we all have enough drama and arguments in our daily lives

Fly, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline santino6124

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:01 AM »
 :hi: Gene.
I had another thought as well. You stated you had a bad crash. Your gyro could have been damaged try bypassing the gyro by plugging the rudder directly into the reciever and see if she will fly. If your proportion is set OK you shouldn't have too much trouble controling it. I have done that in the past to set up my proportion.

Fly, Crash, Fix, Repeat

heli_crasher

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
agree gene. i  have had no issues with my sr had it for a year now. had issues with another heli everyone recomends lol. its hit or miss with a heli. and lots of the problems could be the user. same with computers imo

odd your burning thru motors like that. maybe its the new esc u put in. donno what settings your using on your radio. would check those next. good luck.

Offline skidder

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »
With a new tail motor all is working fine. Interesting thing though, someone at Horizon Hobby told me to break the motor in in water :222:
The thought of water and electricity (even if it is battery) mix seems all wrong. However, I followed the directions.... powered up the new motor using two D-cell batteries and dropped it in  a bowl of water and let it run for about 30 minutes. I figured it would either burn up as soon as it hit the water or work as he said it would. Well, its been about a week and 5-6 batteries and still goin strong. The rationale was/is to cut the brushes in using water. --- To my surprise  :excited: it worked. Now to see how long it will last.

I'm set to purchase a T-rex 500 hopefully by later August. With the new DX6i the Blade is so responsive. Goin for loop soon. Now I need to learn how to dial in enough negative pitch so I can do an inverted hoover. Any suggestions??? :132: 

Offline Rumblecloud

• Forum Service
  • Legend
  • Port Huron, Michigan
    • Rumblecloud
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
 :hi: skidder,,

:laugh25: :laugh25:
Dialing in negative pitch huh? You go from burning out tail motor flying upside down :222:  :laugh25:

I AM NOT MAKING FUN OF YOU - just being my usual sarcastic self and poking a little fun at ya.

Setting up your head for equal pitch is a one of those topics that can take hours of explaining and a ton of responses - so get ready for them. And everyone probably does it a little differently. But the mains things are leveling the servo horns, leveling the swash, setting a linear pitch (0, 25, 50, 75, 100), then moving the throttle to mid stick (50% on the screen) and adjusting the two sets of upper control links until you have zero pitch.

Many times you'll find that the negative and positive pitch will be different. that's when you have to raise or lower the swash to get them to equal out. It's a lot of fun and takes some time, but once you get it right, it's a great feeling to watch your heli lift off with everything tight, no vebrations, just nice and smooth. It makes you feel like you really accomplished something. It isn't really hard to do, just can be time consuming to get it perfect.

Glad you found out about the water break in. Hope your luck continues.

rc
 :130: